Monday, September 13, 2010

Last Night

He was too young to know that, in any novel with a reasonable amount of forethought, there were no coincidences.

Last week, my sweetie bought me the latest novel by John Irving - Last Night in Twisted River (from which the above quote is lifted). I'm 143 pages into it. Mr. Irving has disappointed in the past (A Son of the Circus anyone?), but he is hitting all his marks on this one.

New England? Check.
Toronto? Check.
Writer protagonist? Check.
Bears? Check.
Women who should be illustrated by R. Crumb? Check.
Hoity toity prep school? Check.
Children missing at least one parent? Check.
Bizarre tragedy? Check.

And that's just in the first 143 pages.

Life is good.

UPDATE: While proofing this post, I noticed another bit of cleverness by Mr. Irving. In the title, is he talking about "the night that preceded today"? Or is he talking about "the final night ever"? I'll let you know if I find out.



UPDATE 2: Vietnam war? Check. Wrestling? Check.

No comments: