Thursday, January 19, 2006

Lianna

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Lianna (1983) - Review
Taken by itself, this film didn't do much for me, but considering the context I have to give it some love. The subject matter has been done ad nauseum, but in 1983 that couldn't have been less true. At that time, the few films about gay/lesbian relationships were cloying, tawdry, or both. This film treats the protagonist's sex life as neither weird nor sensational. The production values are rather raw... but this was before "indy" films were cool. (There's one outdoor scene where the lighting changes half a dozen times during the scene due to clouds passing over the sun... kinda hilarious.)

And yes, I'm partial since it's yet another film by my hero, John Sayles.

Kinda reminds me of my favorite quasi-homosexual awakening film, Kissing Jessica Stein.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com (out of 5)

No comments: