Thursday, November 17, 2005

Breathless (À bout de souffle)



Breathless (À bout de souffle) (1960) - Review
I must be a philistine. This is allegedly one of the finest films ever. It is credited with kicking off the French New Wave in cinema. It was Jean-Luc Godard's first success. After seeing and thoroughly enjoying Godard's Contempt, I was prepared to be blown away by this landmark film. I must've missed something.

There is some interesting camera work. The soundtrack is engaging. But where was the story? I was actually nodding off during parts in the middle. I suppose I can see how some of Godard's techniques were groundbreaking; I was not entertained at all. The plot was thin with very little character development. I'm OK with not really having anyone to like and I don't need a happy ending, but come on. The review I linked to above sums up my experience with this film: A film student's wetdream but not much entertainment value.

Either that or I'm just a philistine.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com (out of 5)

No comments: