Thursday, November 10, 2005

Le Petit Soldat

Because we recently got back on the Netflix bandwagon, I've been watching an inordinate number of films lately. My intent is to post each film I watch along with some comments. I don't expect I'll do much actual reviewing, but I'll try to include links to information about the film and any actual reviews I think are relevant. (I expect this guy will get some airtime.) We'll see what happens.

Without further ado:



Le Petit Soldat (The Little Soldier) (1963) - Review
I'm not a connoisseur of French films, but I gotta say... some of these cats knew what they were doing. This is the second film I've seen by Jean-Luc Godard - the other being Le Mépris (Contempt) - and I'm beginning to understand why he is revered. The story is about some intrigue between French and Arab shadowy types during France's mess in Algeria. Interesting from a historical perspective, but it's the beauty of what's on the screen that is breathtaking. The lighting and cinematography are sublime. Godard also gets dazzling performances from his protaganist, Michael Subor, and The Girl, Anna Karina.

Speaking of Anna Karina, this is the first time I've seen her in anything. Her beauty on the screen is unsurpassed (I know, that's debatable) and her acting? What can I say? Her facial expressions in the apartment photography scenes tell as much of the story as any dialogue in the movie.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com (out of 5)

No comments: