Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Casa de los Babys



Casa de los Babys - Review
In a previous post I accused a filmmaker of not being the greatest. The writer/director/editor of this film, John Sayles, is one of the greatest filmmakers. His ability to consistently write stories and tell them using film is unmatched among contemporary filmmakers. I haven't seen anything by him that I didn't like and two of his works (Limbo and Lone Star) are among my very most favorite films.

The linked-to review wasn't the best I could find but it was the best I could find that didn't give away a nice little plot twist and it does give a decently accurate account of the film.

Sayles has no problem pointing the camera at his characters and just letting them... be. There is one sequence that, for me, is the emotional heart of the film. Two women are in a hotel room. They both talk at length about heart wrenching stuff. Long takes with few cuts. Fleshing out of characters and a revelation. Neither of them can understand what the other is saying. One speaks only Spanish, the other only English; it matters not at all.

There is a musical interlude with the babies of the eponymous casa. Sayles fearlessly lets his camera linger on the little ones, who he obviously can't be directing. It works.

The ending shot can't help but remind one of Sayles' earlier Limbo.

As usual in a Sayles work, the actors are all excellent, but nobody particularly stands out. His films are rarely, if ever, driven by the performances; they are foremost the work of their creator.

I have a few more of Sayles' films to see before I finish the canon. (Men with Guns is on tap tomorrow or Friday.) My expecations are high; I doubt I'll be disappointed.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com (out of 5)

No comments: