Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Robe

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Robe (1953) - Review

Interesting perspective on events surrounding the well-known story of the execution of Jesus of Nazareth. Richard Burton is Marcellus, the Roman tribune who actually pounded the nails. Jean Simmons is his l-l-l-lovuh.

I was thinking how Jean Simmons reminds me a bit of Audrey Hepburn. For all the hoo-hah over Audrey, I think I'll take Jean Simmons when it comes to screen presence. Breakfast at Tiffany's was quite something and Ms. Hepburn's performance was a huge part of that. But if I compare all the Jean Simmons performances I've seen with all the Audrey Hepburn performances, Ms. Simmons comes off as more... human, I guess. More genuine. Maybe I feel that way because I've loved Jean Simmons since seeing her in Spartacus when I was just a lad. I've always thought she was every bit the screen goddess Audrey Hepburn was but never seemed to get the same amount of adulation.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com (out of 5)

No comments: