Sunday, December 04, 2005

Out of the Blue

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Out of the Blue (1980) - Review

I like it when filmmakers break the mold and step outside the boundaries of mainstream movies. Dennis Hopper - directing and starring - certainly does that in this film, but for me his effort is undercut by the lack of quality in every aspect. The film's style is "realistic", which in this case just looks cheap. The lead actress, Linda Manz, is either a terrible actress (I've never seen her in anything else), didn't try very hard, or was the victim of misguided direction.

The soundtrack was kinda cool... most of it taken from Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps.

One of these days I'm going to learn. It seems I should stay away from indie filmmakers who star in their own work. Vincent Gallo is the prime example. Both of his films I've seen - The Brown Bunny and Buffalo 66 - are self-indulgent crapfests. He can't be bothered to enunciate his lines and has a habit of repeating himself for no apparent reason. Anyway... Out of the Blue reminded me too much of those films.

But... most of the reviews I've seen speak rather highly, so what do I know?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com (out of 5)

No comments: