Monday, October 15, 2007

Sloggin'

I'm still here. We are into the final 2 weeks of WMD, so the end is in sight, or at least almost. So far no additional symptoms, but the fatigue continues to deepen. After lying in bed most of the weekend, we drove to Viroqua to pick up a couple things and get some food. I wanted to do something to feel normal for an hour or so. It was good.

Today is my last day as a smoker. I'm using the latest miracle drug for smoking cessation called Chantix. Instead of trying to wean me off nicotine, it makes my brain stop "appreciating" nicotine. The plan is that I start taking the pills a week before my target quit date, which I did, and I already noticed a difference. I've been smoking substantially fewer cigarettes each day. (I used to smoke almost exactly a pack a day.)

The original plan was that we were going to have 9/22 (our wedding anniversary) as our quit date, but I decided I didn't want to try to quit smoking while undergoing WMD therapy. So we decided to make 11/15 our quit date. I just decided a week or so ago that I didn't want to wait. Now Lori started her pills today so she'll be quitting this time next week.

This is the first time I've tried quitting with a quit date while not dreading the quitting. I'm still a bit anxious, but for once I'm also eagerly anticipating being done with cigarettes.

It's been 2 weeks since I had any beverage that is sugary, caffeinated, or both. I honestly don't miss it a bit. Although the lemonade at Culvers last night was calling out to me faintly.

I've added a freshly-ground tbsp of flaxseed to my daily regimen (such as it is). I grind it in the coffee grinder and dump into a cup or so of yogurt. Tasty. Much better than Temodar.

The financial results are in for the benefit. It looks like I'll be able to cover all my health insurance deductible and have some left for next year's. First MRI in 2008 will put me over my deductible, so there's no mystery whether I'll be paying my full deductible next year.

Baseball - I bleed Dodger blue, but for a long time now, the Red Sox have been my favorite team in the AL. So this isn't easy for me but I have to say: Go ROCKIES!!

In a sport that plays almost every day, the Rockies have lost only one game since 9/15. (Seven of those victories helped put the final nails in the coffin for the Dodgers.) There have been longer winning streaks but not by much. And NOBODY has done anything like this at this point in the season. Even with the winning streak at the end of the season, they barely made it into the playoffs and that on the final day with help.

A few days ago my brother was predicting the Rockies are going to win the World Series. I told him there's no way they'll get past the Red Sox. But now after the Indians showed the Red Sox are not invincible, I'm not so sure. I still don't think the Rockies can beat the Red Sox, but if the Indians get past Boston all bets are off.

The perfect ending would be for the Rockies to continue their win streak until they're up 3-0 on the Red Sox in the World Series. Then the Red Sox could re-live the 2004 ALCS when they were down 0-3 and came back to beat the hated Yankees.

"Roberts is going! He's safe!!"

No comments: