Monday, August 27, 2007

Something to Celebrate

Trying not to let a mere doctor's appointment loom large, but there's no denying there is a palpable sense of .... something. Lori and I were talking on the phone ... realizing there will be SOMEthing to celebrate tomorrow. At the very least, I should get at least some of these staples out of my skull. That will be swell. Nothing like trying to figure out why a blood vessel throbbing on your scalp has a metallic clank. Oh yes ... the staples.

I would be thrilled to celebrate getting off these steroids. Over time, they feel like they're turning me inside out. Started with the sleeplessness. For the first several days, it didn't bother me at all ... I felt great. But as time goes by, the body does actually require some damn rest. And when I don't get it, I start feeling off balance - literally and figuratively. Last night I was doing something on the floor and just fell over on my side. Nothing drastic, but just not right.

And then I discover I've contracted a nasty case of thrush in my mouth. Disgusting and very uncomfortable. I'm picking up a scrip for some yellow miracle gel that should fix that in a day or so. Almost certainly a side effect of the steroids.

So the steroids ... hopefully we can at least decrease dosage, if not get off 'em completely. I would celebrate that.

It's going to be good to see the surgeon again. He's a swell fella and I'm looking forward to visiting with him. Probably not cause for celebration, but close enough.

Fact is, I'm scared. Nothing to do about it but get through it and see what happens. I intend to file a full report tomorrow. More shall be revealed.

No comments: